Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Where Were You When The Mountain Blew???


I came across this brochure a while back ...
It brought back so many memories ...


Of that day in 1980, May 18th, 1980 to be precise ... when the beautiful and pristine Mt. St. Helens in Washington exploded ...


30 years. That's a long time. But I still clearly remember the day - a Sunday morning. My drive home from church included a hill overlooking the Willamette Valley. Usually I could see Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Jefferson - and a good portion of the Cascade Range.

On that day I stopped at the top of the hill in awe - as I watched this once-perfect mountain blow her top.

It was my mom's 41st birthday.
What an interesting way to celebrate!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being six years of age, it was probably a regular day at school.

Please have a wonderful Wednesday.

Beth Niquette said...

I remember that day--were we together? I can't remember, except I do remember seeing the same view you describe.

I can remember going to Hyde Park to draw pictures--as I drew lines on the paper, I could hear bits of ash hitting the paper like tiny hail.