Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Military Training Journal ...


I found a journal at the Goodwill some time ago ... only a few pages had been used.
I tore them out, setting them aside, and used the journal for other things.

In fits and starts I have been trying to go through my mounds and piles and boxes of paper stuff, and in one of my searches I found the journal entries.

This time I read them.

There is no name to my mysterious soldier. Just a vivid description of what it was like to be training for war. Some of the wording makes me think the time frame is the Viet Nam era.

Did this soldier fight there? Did he ever have to throw one of those grenades for real? If he did go over there, did he make it home okay?

I will never know .....

And look at the date. February 14th. Valentines Day.

3 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Wow...that is amazing--and that unknown person is being honored now. Poignant.

Thanks for the heads up about the pic on my page--could you check and see if you can see the picture--on my computer it was still showing--I just re-submitted it. Thanks, Sissy!

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

Oh! This is touching!!

tapirgal said...

What a find, Clytie! Thanks for posting it. I love these old things finding new homes online where people can see and appreciate them. I, too, have mounds of stuff and am thankful we've graduated from lonely (though nice!) notebooks and scrapbooks to the community of sharing on blogs. Your commentary on this one was very toughtful.