Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Stonehenge (USA) Postcard and Photo



I got this postcard a long time ago, because we used to travel frequently through the Columbia Gorge - and stopped at Stonehenge whenever we could. It has always fascinated me!


"Washington state's replica of Stonehenge was built by entrepreneur Samuel Hill as a memorial to the soldiers of Klickitat County who gave their lives in WWI.  Construction of Stonehenge was started in 1918 and completed in 1929."

More information about Samuel Hill and his contributions to this area can be found at the Maryhill Museum web site.


On one of our trips to Stonehenge, probably in the mid 1980's, I used my small pocket camera to snap these two pictures ... which, thanks to the digital age, I have now stitched together into one shot.

To see postcards from around the world, visit "The Best Hearts Are Crunchy" - and join us for "Postcard Friendship Friday".

If you have posted an old photo, please it link up with Jane's "Vintage Weekly"!



3 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

I love these postcards! We've been by there and visited more times than I can actually remember. We dropped by there last Spring. It is such a wonderful, mysterious structure.

I like how you put the two shots together, by the way! Cool!

Happy PFF!

Jane said...

Nice captures!

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely and an interesting tribute to the original Stonehenge in England

I really like this blog, you've found some amazing photos along the way!