Friday, August 14, 2009

Tale of the Wandering Wallet



There is a story here ...
Late one night (around midnight) I heard a commotion at the abandoned church across the street. I went outside to listen. What I heard was ... dozens of flip-flops ... running full tilt down the road. Yep, a whole herd of teenagers apparently spooked themselves in the building and were running for their lives. Snicker.

The next morning I saw something on the road leading up to the building. It was a wallet! I picked it up and found it belonged to a 16-year-old high school student from a nearby town. Presumably one of the runners.

I called the police and told them what had happened. Twenty minutes later a deputy showed up and took possession of the wallet. He said he looked forward to locating the owner. I told him he should look for the owner's parents instead ... the deputy snickered and said 'yeah, that's what I meant". Boy would I have liked to have been a fly on the wall listening to that particular conversation!!!

1 comment:

Beth Niquette said...

Whoohooo! I have to tell you the whole idea just delights my heart.

I can't imagine what his parents may have to say--with Social security card, driver's license numbers and all the other personal information there--that kid could have lost his identity and battled to get it back for years.

I'm glad you were the one to find it! I bet he learned a valuable lesson. (snicker)