Monday, December 13, 2010

Vern's final letter ...

This is the final letter from Vern to his parents.
I will miss them.
Thank you for letting me share this delightful family.
I hope you have enjoyed this series as much as I have!


2/9th/69th

Hi - folks.

I got here (just) fine. got here 7 in the moreing (morning) left there about 3'o clock yestery (yesterday) evenney (evening).

Got in Colfax washington then Pullman and just started to storm hard I mene it just come poreing down, no not rain, I mene snow.

Im sure glad now I left when I did, huh.

I never used them chang (chains) at all tho other then that the car whent very slow but studdy (steady) thought (through) about 6 inch of dampa kind of snow.

All the way to Colfax. from Kingston, the hi-ways
(over)


where all nice and dry. Like smer (summer?) Hi-ways, olny then the wind just blue and blue relley hard I had a sacso (?) the weel a lot, from Spokane to Colfax. and just as soon as I got to Plomer it just started to began to storm.

So I got a little bitt scook (shook) up about then. that snow makes me disze (dizzy) you know, to drive in it anyway.

So I was scooh-up about then. and (dead mans fase) was allso bad at that time. Nampa, hasent got any snow to spek of oanlee little paches here and there. you got some more to huh I herd on the readeo (radio) just now. My garsh what wheather you've been geting gee whose.
Well thats all now.
Vern Meligan



Such a happy guy - cute smile!
He did really well with the car in the snow though, I think.

3 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

I especially like that last comment and the picture....LOL

tapirgal said...

So cool. I wish everyone who found old letters would put them on a blog. I'm working on some now from my family, and I love it.

Tamera said...

What a find! I think that drawing is almost like Outsider Art! I also love how he signs his letters with his first and last name. That's too cute.